Easy Key Lime Pie


I made this pie not long ago when I had some extra egg yolks to use up after making this gorgeous and delicious angel food cake. I've made key lime pie before, but never actually using key limes which are typically smaller, have a stronger flavor and a thinner rind than those you'll usually find in the grocery store.


I am not personally a huge fan of the flavor of key lime pie because it is so TART but do love the texture of key lime pie so think I actually prefer the one I linked above that used a mixture of lemon / lime juice for the citrus.


This pie was perfectly creamy with a really delicious crust, but my oh my it packed a PUNCH! I think that is also because I didn't measure my zest and have a feeling I used more than the recipe called for - but keep that in mind should you like to give this recipe a try. You can keep the tart levels in check by adjusting the amount of zest you include.


I think this recipe came out really lovely overall though - perfect creaminess, wonderful crust and bright and fresh citrus flavors!


Key Lime Pie from The Kitchn adapted from Martha Stewart.
Makes 1 pie.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons sugar
Pinch salt
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup Key lime juice, from about 12 limes
2 teaspoons Key lime zest
Whipped cream for garnish (optional)

Directions
  1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease an 8 or 9-inch pie pan. Place graham cracker crumbs, butter, sugar and a pinch of salt in a large mixing bowl, stirring until combined. Dump the sand-like mixture into a pie plate and press evenly to create a thin crust. Bake for about 10 minutes in preheated oven and then remove from oven and allow to cool.
  2. Lower oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, blend together the lime juice, zest, egg yolks and condensed milk. Pour into crust and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, cool and then refrigerate until ready to serve.
  3. Top with home made whipped cream and thin -slices or small wedges of key lime, if desired, to serve.


Comments

Popular Posts