#BundtBakers ~ Tunnel of Fudge Bundt Cake



BundtBakers

#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme.  Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.

We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.


You can find this recipe all over the internet - shared on numerous sites with the exact same ingredient list I've shared below. You will find stories of its history - apparently it originates in the 60's during a Pillsbury Bake Off. It was quite an interesting lesson for me - I learned a lot about bundt pans, Pillsbury, dry frosting mixes, and a recipe that was an integral part of many childhoods during the 70's!


That said - I had never heard of this recipe until I set out to find a good chocolate bundt cake recipe! I feel deprived. I am so glad I did stumble across this one, and had the chance to make it (and ENJOY it)! This cake is some combination between lava cake, brownie, and good dense chocolate cake... I couldn't bring myself to cover it with the chocolate ganache you will find at pretty much all of the other blogs / sites that host this same recipe. It was SO rich without it! It needs a BIG scoop of vanilla ice cream or cup of milk to enjoy alongside as is - I was afraid I might experience a sugar coma if I added thick, rich, chocolatey ganache on top.


I will also note that this cake does NOT want to release nicely from the pan. I've never had a bundt cake stick before (knock on lots of wood). I use Baker's Joy spray, and am very generous and liberal with the spray before adding batter. However, this cake is so heavy and dense, that it settles very heavily into the bottom of the pan while cooling - so I think it's very important to follow the recommendation of the butter / cocoa powder below. I did another web search when I discovered my cake was stuck, and pretty much everyone who did not have issues with sticking used the cocoa powder and butter method.


After letting the cake set in its bundt pan while I was at work (after I was unable to get it out in the morning before I left), I came home and gently ran a spatula and then butter knife around the edge. It still didn't want to come out and I was getting upset. Then we flip it hard and I hear "thunk". I think my eyes got really big and I freaked out for a second, imagining my beautiful chocolate cake in 20 million broken pieces, half on the counter, half in the pan... but no - the whole thing released, in one piece, and was sitting there looking perfectly delicious.


This cake certainly won me over. Don't tell anyone - but I actually had a piece of this for breakfast the other day... it was the best breakfast ever.

Here are February's Chocolate themed Bundt Bakers:

Tunnel of Fudge Bundt Cake from Lemon Sugar

To prepare the bundt pan
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Cake Ingredients
½ cup boiling water
2-oz unsweetened baking chocolate chopped
2 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup cocoa powder
2 cups (8 ounces) confectioners sugar
1 tsp salt
5 large eggs at room temperature
1 TBS vanilla extract
1 cup granulated sugar
¾ cup packed brown sugar
2 ½ sticks (20 TBS) unsalted butter at room temperature

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. To prepare the bundt pan, combine the 2 TBS of cocoa powder with the melted butter and generously apply the mixture to the inside of the bundt pan, coating every crevice well.
  3. Combine the chipped unsweetened chocolate with the 1/2 cup boiling water in a small bowl and stir until melted.
  4. Meanwhile, combine the flour, cocoa powder, confectioners sugar and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
  5. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the softened butter with the granulated sugar and brown sugar until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add in the vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, blending well between each addition. (Mixture may look a little curdled at this point, but don't worry, it will come together when you add the dry ingredients in). Scrape down sides as necessary.
  6. Blend in the chocolate and boiling water mixture.
  7. Slowly add in the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing on a low speed. Scrape down the sides as needed, and mix only until the dry and wet ingredients are combined. Do not over mix.
  8. Use a spatula to spoon the mixture into the prepared bundt pan, and smooth out the top (the batter may be fairly thick, and resemble brownie batter).
  9. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 - 50 minutes. The cake should start to pull away from the sides a little (a toothpick test will be difficult, as you want the cake to be slightly underbaked which is what creates the fudgy tunnel). Use your best judgment. 
  10. Allow the cake to cool on a wire pan for 2 hours before inverting onto a serving plate.
  11. Top with a sprinkle of powdered sugar, or if you want the full "death by chocolate" experience, visit Lemon Sugar's site for the chocolate glaze recipe.


Comments

  1. Oh my goodness that looks so rich and fudgy - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what it is - super rich and fudgy, and it stayed that way for a full week which was what really impressed me!! :D

      Delete
  2. I love the tunnel of love cakes. Great choice for this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy - I can't believe I've never heard of this before!

      Delete
  3. I was looking forward to reading your post and seeing the cake, ever since you posted the title, I am not disappointed, I love the story, love the cake:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking forward to reading your post and seeing the cake, ever since you posted the title, I am not disappointed, I love the story, love the cake:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. THE TUNNEL OF FUDGE, AHHHH! It's so good. Yours looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This cake looks delicious and so moist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to try this recipe, but I'd heard that the frosting mix called for in the original recipe is no longer available so I just figured I'd never have the chance. Your recipe looks delicious! I'll have to give it a go sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give it a try - apparently King Arthur or Pillsbury, or one of those companies worked up this recipe as a substitute for the original since they no longer make the dry frosting mix in the original - I've never had the original so I can't compare, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with this one. :)

      Delete
    2. I stand corrected - it was America's Test Kitchen who came up with this version!

      Delete
  8. Mmmm, tunnel of fudge, you got me!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the name. This sounds splendid! xo, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine - I loved the name too. :)

      Delete
  10. Only the name says it all, looove your bundt Rebekah! I am certainly going to try this one, only with lots of butter and cacao powder in the pan ;-) -xx- Lara Tartacadabra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give it a try - and definitely with the cocoa powder and butter to grease the pan! :)

      Delete
  11. I love a rich chocolate cake without icing . Something I can just grab and eat. A cake just like you made.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like the best chocolate cake - EVER! (My appologies to the rest of us on the list this month...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Lauren! :D High praise indeed!! I think it was though... I am craving another one and I just finished that one off yesterday!!

      Delete
  13. MHHHH! I can imagine how good it is! you are right, a sugar coma might be dangerous...

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks so delicious.... And I started craving for it...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wowww!! It looks so delicious!! That fudgy inside is so yummy!!! I love it!!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am glad you pointed out that this cake is likely to stick. I have wanted to make it for a long time. Now I have a recipe and warnings! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to try it - and that the butter / cocoa powder method works for you! I will definitely be baking this one again and heavily coating it with the butter / cocoa powder mixture and keeping my fingers crossed!

      Delete
  18. It's wonderful cake isn't it?! I've made it a few times before and can never fail to enjoy a slice or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good!! I think I actually want this for my birthday cake later this year, even if I have to bake it for myself. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts