Our Pregnancy: 26 Weeks

Here's whats going on with the Chadiferinas this week!

Week Twenty Six: Second trimester ends this week

You are 26 weeks pregnant. (fetal age 23 weeks)
  • The baby measures 14 inches long and weighs over 1.7 pound.
  • Baby measures 35.5cm long and weighs over 760 grams.
  • The feet are 2 inches (5cm) long. Hands are very active.
  • The baby's eyes begin to open around this time.
26 weeks handsThe fetus makes breathing movements, but there is no air in the lungs yet. Hands are active and muscle coordination is such that they can get a thumb into the mouth. Thumb sucking calms the baby and strengthens the cheek and jaw muscles.

The fetal brain scan will show response to touch. Touching and playing with the baby is possible now, as they may respond to your touch through your belly wall. Brain growth continues with brain wave activity for the visual and auditory systems starting to develop. Baby is probably very active in the womb, as the most active weeks are typically between weeks 24 and 28.

26 weeks footYou may begin feeling your belly tighten and relax at odd moments or irregular intervals. These are Braxton Hicks
contractions. They are painless and help the uterus prepare for the birth. Many babies have developed a predictable routine for sleep and active periods. Twins may have entirely different routines from each other.

If your back is feeling the strain of your growing belly, try doing some pelvic rocks to relax it. Stand with your back against the wall, knees slightly bent. As you inhale a breath, press the small of your back against the wall. Exhale and relax your back. You may be experiencing shortness of breath as the uterus is very close to the rib cage at this stage. Some moms are not able to fully expand their rib cages; however, this does not negatively affect the baby in any way.

The end of week 26 marks the end of month six, which is the last month of the second trimester.
Last week of the 2nd trimester!! Super exciting to think in just one more full week we're in the 3rd and final trimester! 26 weeks pregnant, and less than 100 days to go!

Today was our OB appointment and glucose tolerance test. I've been dreading that thing since Dr. Jo told us she wanted me to do the GTT and not just do glucose monitoring like I did last time. I had to do the GTT with my first surrogacy and was SO sick afterwards, I felt horrible not to mention that the drink itself tasted nasty and I remember it was thick and syrupy. This time was completely different thank GOODNESS! They sent the drink home with me to take on the way to their office and told me I could have a light high protein/low sugar breakfast. So we woke up at 6:00am and by about 6:45 I had eaten some scrambled eggs with a little bit of cheese and ham in it and we were on our way. At 7:45 I had finished the little bottle of fruit punch flavored glucose drink (which I had refrigerated well beforehand) and it actually didn't taste bad at all - like Hi-C! I felt a little light headed when I first started drinking it and then wanted to conk out and sleep within about 5 minutes of finishing it. I dozed a little on the rest of the drive to the OB's office!

They took me back not long after showing up and I told them when I'd finished the glucose drink then gave a urine sample, was weighed and had my BP checked. I went back to the exam room and the nurse found both girls' heartbeats which sounded beautiful as usual! Then Dr. Jo came in and did a quick check in with how I'm feeling, measured my belly (measuring 36 weeks today!!!) and we talked about the "what's next"! She said as long as I'm feeling good and not having regular or painful braxton hicks, no bleeding, cramping, etc. I can continue to work my normal schedule, but keep them posted on how I'm feeling. I told her I'm hoping I can continue at my current schedule at least one more month, but we shall see! Appointments are now every 2 weeks, and we have them scheduled for January 4th and 23rd. The 4th is a midwife check and the 23rd is with Dr. Jo again. She also wants us to make sure we're on the same page for our delivery plans (really they are "hopes" - like you can really make PLANS especially with twins!!) and she'd like us to go ahead and get a c-section on the schedule for March 12th-14th, since it's easier to cancel it then it would be to try to get one scheduled closer to the date we might need it depending on which direction babies end up around that timeframe!

So that's the summary for today! I'm going to try to get a new belly pic tonight to post! I still can't believe I'm measuring 36 weeks already! Within the next 2 weeks or so I'll be measuring as big as I EVER have with my 3 singletons... that's incredible to think about how much more growing me and the girls have left to go!! :)

Comments

  1. Wonderful update!!! I can't believe you are 26 weeks already!! Seems like just yesterday you were barely pregnant and making that awesome dinner :-)!!! I miss you guys!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts