Grandmother's Buttermilk Cornbread

I discovered this recipe on allrecipes.com awhile back (original recipe here) when I was looking for a good cornbread recipe and have been using it ever since! I love sweet cornbread, and had tried several recipes and had issues with them either not being a sweet bread or the mixture was very crumbly and would fall apart - but this one was a great mix of perfect texture and moistness and also a lightly sweet flavor (which is fantastically complimented with some honey - yumm)!

I didn't have buttermilk, so I used milk and vinegar as a substitute (and it worked perfectly!), along with Stevia instead of sugar, AP flour, corn meal, eggs, baking soda, salt and butter.

The butter was melted over fairly low heat and while that was melting I prepped some of the other ingredients.


I combined the milk and vinegar and let that sit for a minute, then added the baking soda and mixed well.

Once the butter was melted, I removed it from heat and quickly whisked in the Stevia.

Then the eggs were whisked in and mixed completely together as well (the Stevia and butter mixture looked a little funky but it all smoothed out beautifully once the eggs were added to the mixture).

Once the eggs were completely blended in I then whisked in the previously combined milk, vinegar and baking soda mixture and combined that well.


 Next the salt, flour and cornmeal were added and I whisked until smooth.


 The batter was poured into an 8x8 square pan which was pre-greased with cooking spray.

 The pan went into the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes.



And out came a beautiful, hot, delicious smelling pan of cornbread! A perfect crumb to it, wonderful texture and mildly sweet taste. We all enjoyed this with some honey in the middle alongside our dinner!

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup white sugar or Stevia
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk, 1 TBS vinegar)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan.

Melt butter in large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar or Stevia. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Comments

  1. I wonder if I could use rice flour instead of AP, my son has a gluten allergy but we LOVE corn bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My, my this looks good. I've had ths in my recipe box for ages and have yet to make it. I'm going to take your lead and make this with the vinegar substitute. I love a sweeter cornbread so this looks good.

    And bless your heart for being a surrogate. What love you must have.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog and for your kind comments. I am humbled to be so graced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy I've never cooked with rice flour! Does it usually do ok as an AP substitute? I'm sure it'd be worth trying at least! :)

    Katy - thank you for stopping by! Your blog is inspiring and I have been enjoying your posts along with your many delicious recipes! Those love knots look SOOO good!! :) Thank you for your kind words regarding surrogacy - it is something I feel VERY blessed to be a part of. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! I love cornbread, I often make it as a side when we're having chili.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts